Failed to backup and now I seem to have lost everything

Firefox 77.0.1 mainly, Windows 10-64 v1909.

I’d previously seen confirmations of my (manual) backup to Google Drive as being successful. Prompted to backup again, the app stalled.

Following the de-bug guidance, I found a message in the console that, somehow, I had an experimental database and should update the app.

On starting the re-installed app, I seem to have lost everything and checking my Google Drive I have no backups - none - despite getting success messages within the app over the preceding months.

Unless I can recover my history - and make a successful backup - I’m out of here and steaming angry. Please note I have not turned off my computer yet as I’m hoping there’s a way to recover my history.

Your urgent assistance will be appreciated

Hello @inspector71

So sorry to hear that. Let’s figure this out together.

Which version of Memex are you running and when did that problem appear?
Do you have screenshots of the console in question?

Following the de-bug guidance, I found a message in the console that, somehow, I had an experimental database and should update the app.

Which guide are you talking about here?

On starting the re-installed app, I seem to have lost everything and checking my Google Drive I have no backups - none - despite getting success messages within the app over the preceding months.

That on re-install the data is gone is expected, afterall its a local-first app.
Memex backs up your data into a secret Google Drive folder so that other apps can’t read your browsing history. So it should be all there if your backups were indeed successful. You can check that by going to: Google Drive > Settings > manage apps > Memex Cloud. There is a field “hidden data” and it should show how much is backed up. What does it show?

To restore from that hidden folder you go to Memex settings > backup & restore > restore guide, login to google drive, it should properly restore all your data into the new Memex.

Hope that solves the issue.

1 Like

@inspector71

How is it going? could you retrieve the data?

Hi BlackForestBoi

I’m sorry your responses got lost in my emails. Thank you for correcting my ignorance. I humbly retract my post about the backup failing, it was there but I didn’t know where it was.

Since re-installing, I’ve now got quite a bit more history. Should I back this up to my Google Drive and then restore? Just want to ensure I’m not going to overwrite or lose the backup history that was there all along, as you say, rightly hidden for security.

Cheers, Graham

@inspector71

We definitely need to update the backup process to make it more clear that its a hidden folder, and explain this in the tutorials more. I updated the tutorials already now and will add more info in the actual backup process.