Searching notes via tags not working

Hey there – been using Memex for work for a while now, on the whole it’s really useful. I don’t know whether this is a bug or just a misunderstanding of Memex’s capabilities:

If I tag a page with “xyz” and then also add annotations to that page, I can’t actually find this via searching on the dashboard. So there are pages that I have tagged, but do not have notes on them. So if while on the notes tab, I want to filter my search by the “xyz” tag, it comes up with nothing every time. This is with any tag, on any page that I have annotated.

I’m using Firefox on MacOS

Hey @geoiac

First of all: Welcome to the Memex Community board and thanks for dropping by with that request. :tada:

So to repeat If I understood you correctly:
You tag a page with XZY and when filtering for that tag in the “notes” view, you want to see all annotations of pages with that tag, even if the annotation itself not tagged with XYZ?

If that is the case then indeed it is not the way Memex currently works.
It would only find the content pieces explicitly tagged with that tag.
The way to do it is to go on the “pages” tab & filter by the tag there. Then it lists all pages and you can see the annotations on that page by clicking on the small comment icon (The one with a number in it)

Hope that helps!
Oliver

Hey Oliver, thanks for quick reply

Sorry… posted this right before lunch, and I think I didn’t explain properly.

You tag a page with XZY and when filtering for that tag in the “notes” view, you want to see all annotations of pages with that tag, even if the annotation itself not tagged with XYZ ?

No I’m saying I want to see all annotations of pages with that tag – that’s all. So to replicate the problem, you can tag a page with “xyz”, and then annotate something on the page. Then if you filter by ‘xyz’ in your notes, you will not see that page come up in the search.

Hope that’s clear!

I think we are saying (literally) the same thing here. :heart_eyes:
me: you want to see all annotations of pages with that tag,
you: I want to see all annotations of pages with that tag

The workaround therefore is to go to the “pages” tab and filter by the tag there. Then you’ll see a list of all page with that tag and click on the small ‘speech bubble’ icon in the bottom right corner of the result element. See steps 1-4 in the screenshot

Oh :joy: that’s what I’ve been doing as a work around already

Okay thanks anyway – I guess this wasn’t really a bug report, ma bad

G

hehe alright :slight_smile:

I am archiving this topic now if you’re OK with it?