In tests we just discovered that other’s don’t experience this bug. We need to dig deeper here.
Did you at some point change those settings manually? Any of the ones that were there.
We had a meeting also yesterday and we decided that the notification is what we offer to explain, and some instructions on how to set up an extension from an old version and port the data, in case you REALLY want to keep it. But we’re definitely for the time being don’t enable users to enable it again.
We realised although it’s a valuable feature, it’s not solving a super frequent and painful problem for users. Therefore having this feature as our product guiding direction is not a good idea.
We spent an unreasonable amount of time building the search, and the features around it. It also increased development time of other features by 30-50% because of interdependencies with search and the amount of data it produced (e.g. sync, backup, (search) performance, toll on overall performance of computer).
And we’re just 2.5 devs. We were way too idealistic with this feature on a technical level.
We are in a situation where we need to find a way to become economically sustainable, or otherwise this project may not exist in a year or 2 anymore. The history search was our biggest blocker to get there.
I hope you understand this decision. I too hope that we will have the resources to add it back at a later point, as I see a lot of value in it, when serving other use cases like better integrations with other apps, or sharing/collaborating with peers.