PDF Annotations

Summary

Right now it is not possible to make annotations on PDFs, only on websites.

That would indeed be interesting. What are you thinking about in that area?
A tool like Polar (with js in it) is very useful… but having the web/pdf annotations would be ideal…

We already have the open PR for a while but needs still some work: https://github.com/WorldBrain/Memex/pull/822

Essentially enabling you to have the same capabilities of the web annotations also for PDFs you view online. But good is that the ID’ing of PDFs happen with a fingerprint of the file, so annotations that are made in Memex could be also viewed in Polar - given an integration between both tools.

Yes, that’s a very good option. I think researchers (of which I am one) and students and journalists are looking forward to it. Being able to filter a mass of information and various annotations is a vital need.

4 Likes

I’d love to see the ability to read, annotate and search locally stored ebooks (epub, mobi, azw, etc…) as well.

3 Likes

In beta feature… arriving soon i think

Yes we have an eager contributor working on it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Do you have any idea when we can test this?

1 Like

We just finished the refactoring of the sidebar that would be injected into the PDF viewer. So hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks!

3 Likes

Quick update:

We will finish the massive task of the sidebar refactor which has taken way longer than we expected.
The PDF annotations are already 80-90% done so hopefully it will not take as much time anymore now.

Very excited!

3 Likes

Hi,

Any news about that ?
Regards

1 Like

We got a big step further by prototyping the pdf implementation and it seems to work well. Annotations anchor and can be made with a full-featured PDF viewer.

Now the next blocker is that we need to figure out how to adapt the data model and sync properly.

We have parked the full implementation a bit though to not distract the work on the sharing/following features we got the main funding for and some other work that needs to happen before we can tackle the final implementation of the PDF annotations.

We’re on it.

3 Likes

Awesome! Can’t wait! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hi! Are there any updates re: PDF annotations?

1 Like

Hmmm, they must have met a bigger-than-expected bump in the road. I’m also eagerly looking forward to PDF annotations :pray:

2 Likes

Same here! Eagerly waiting for PDF annotations! :sparkles:

1 Like

Yeah some other priorities…buuuut!

https://twitter.com/BlackForestBoi/status/1361365674321469443

I am getting really giddy right now :)

PDF Annotations for @worldbrain are almost ready for beta release!

(highlight colour was a bit cut out by the screen capture) pic.twitter.com/6fquc5WUTn

— Oliver Sauter (@BlackForestBoi) February 15, 2021
1 Like

How can i use this function ?

NOW you can :slight_smile:

Update to 2.14.0 and you’ll be able to use PDF annotations.
It’s a first version that we felt comfortable enough sharing even though there are still some bugs and a lot to improve.

Consider checking the section "known issues"
We’re happy about any feedback you want to leave here.
Here are some instructions on how to start using it: https://worldbrain.io/tutorial/pdf-annotations

3 Likes

Great news ! This is an important first step to really be able to use Memex Worldbrain for work… at least when we will be able to work on PDFs locally, which I think is the most frequent use for students, researchers, journalists, etc…
We’re looking forward to the stabilization of the tool! Good luck and long life!

1 Like