Improved Tag Filter Search

I would really benefit from a more featureful search for tags in the tag filter portion of the Memex dashboard search bar.

Right now, when filtering by tag, when you enter a string in the tag search bar it appears the search only matches tags that begin with the string you entered. It would be extremely useful if the tag filter search returned tags that contained your search string anywhere within the tag. Regular expressions would be even more useful, but not critical.

As an example use case, my workflow is to add as many tags as I think might be useful, so I can recall the page I’m tagging from many different mental contexts. I also use nested tagging. As a (somewhat convoluted) example, a page about a neat Jupyter notebooks feature might be tagged with any (or all, if I can remember to) of the following:

• programming.python.jupyter
  • jupyter
  • datascience.tools.jupyter
  • programming.python.jupyter.features

If I type “jupyter” into the tag filter, I would like the tag search to pull up all of these tags so I can select them all in the event that I can’t remember which exact tag I placed on a page about Jupyter notebooks that I’m trying to pull up. It’s likely that my tagging approach is a bit of a mess, but I think this would be a useful feature regardless of my specific workflow.

Interesting indeed.
But wouldn’t it be covered by the planned “nested hierarchy” feature described here : https://community.worldbrain.io/t/nested-bookmark-organizer-like-a-file-system/14?

Not quite. Because I structure my tags by dot-separating them, they are already “nested” in a sense. My feature request is asking for more powerful search functionality when searching for tags.

Even if they added nested folders, how do I remember which folder I decided to put a bookmark in? Then I would need recursive search through all the folders! :slight_smile:

Thanks @krobzaur for the input, and sorry for the late reply on this one - we were heads deep in other work.

We are planning a move for cloud support of Memex with much better search technology available.Then those features will be much more likely to come.
Unlikely that we are going to work on improving that regex type search in the extension anytime soon.

Sorry for disappointing you there :frowning:

No worries.

Even without regular expressions, is there any way there might be support for searching the text of the entire tag, instead of just prefix matching the tag?

Hi, is any update about “regex type search”, please?
Memex is really nice tool.
I have my Memex full of bookmarks but the search engine is really weak.

My only way to search in my Memex is manually sort items to collections.
And it is not very useful with a lots of items.

A “regex type search” is great idea. And I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks for some info about this topic.