Highlighted text wont persist in this web that features SlateJS and SSR

1. Which browser, operating system and versions of those are you using?
  • Firefox 77.0.1 64-bit (latest stable as of 7 June 2020).
  • macOS Catalina 10.15.5
  1. What are the steps you took that lead to the bug?

I know that the company, kumparan, uses SSR and SlateJS also if you inspect element, it wraps the text in heavy divs and p with different classname in each renders. Maybe this information can help in debugging

This is a really odd bug.

I can reproduce it here.
Even though I can see the highlights, they also show up in the sidebar on other pages. So if I make highlights on the one you sent me and then go to another pages, they show there too.

Will file the bug.
Many thanks for reporting this issue.

1 Like

Yep, I found that this is really weird. I think, it has to do with the term “shadow path”, to boost page view.

if you look again at that news link (sorry not in English, it is in my local language), the page will be replaced from link/author/post-title to be link/author/post-title/full.

some website replaced the path in the middle of the post, I tried again in this other news site: https://www.idntimes.com/news/indonesia/andri-nh/gempa-57-sr-terasa-hingga-ke-padang-warga-berhamburan-keluar-rumah

notice that the url path will be redirected to/1 then /2 and so on while you read the content.

This case is very difficult no? :sweat_smile:

It’s good that you found this. We’ll have to dig deeper into this.

Thanks so much for noting this bug here!

Hei, more cases of this kind of bug, hope this helps.

The sites both uses React. overreacted uses SSR, typography don’t.
The above site kumparan also uses React, and SSR. IDN Times I don’t know, but I know they use QuillJS for text builder.

I wish for Memex team’s health in this awful pandemic. Keep up the good work!

1 Like